Monday, June 7, 2010

A Milestone....


Yesterday we decided it was time for Michael to "re-learn" how to ride a bike. He learned when he was 6 yrs. old like most kids, however after he was diagnosed with epilepsy, one of the first things the doctors said was, "no more riding bikes in case he has a seizure and falls."
Now that we have been seizure free for a year now, we decided it was time. Michael was very scared. It took a lot of coaxing and persuasion to even get him in the car to go to Walmart. He cried saying he was embarrassed. It broke our hearts but we kept encouraging him.
We finally chose the bike and headed to the school to practice. Within 2 minutes, Michael was off and riding. The smile on his face was priceless, I wish I had my camera! We kept telling him how awesome he was and how proud we were, but more importantly, how proud he should be of himself. I told Michael as he was riding, "you faced your fear and conquered it!" He said, "yes, I faced my fear and blew it up!"
When we got home, I told him to go ride around outside with his friends. Once again, the smile on his face lit up. He happily told his friends, "I learned how to ride a bike today." His friends were telling him, "great job Michael, you are doing awesome!"
This was such a proud moment and special day for us! We are making progress.