Tuesday, April 6, 2010

February '09-Neuropsych at DCH

This day would be at the top of my "lowest moments" list.
We were scheduled for a Neuropsych to begin initiating Michael's IEP for school and to gage his neurocognitive functioning and to assist with clinical management. With all the seizures he was having, this particular day was horrible. It was an 8 hour test with 2 15 min breaks and a 45 min. lunch. I had my 9 month old baby in tow waiting outside for Michael to be put through a mirage of testing by the hospital's psychologist.
He was having so many seizures that day, they weren't even sure if he would be able to finish. He was hallucinating and saying words and colors that weren't even there. Having drops and absence left and right.
The final outcome was heartbreaking. He went from grade level back to kindergarten level. We rec'd an 8 page heartbreaking report. Weaknesses were noted: Verbal memory was far below average, expressive language skills, including naming and verbal formulation as well as attention and executive functioning skills, including working memory, response inhibition, self-monitoring and planning/organization. Verbal memory was also far below average. "These findings are likely related to Michael's medical history. Children with epilepsy are at greater risk for cognitive problems."

My little boy was slipping out of my fingers...I felt so helpless, how was I going to save my son?

No comments:

Post a Comment